Religion - Dec. 4
At The Epiphany Association, Beechview, “The Epiphany as Spiritual Illumination in Religious Fiction” will be presented at 7 p.m. Dec. 5 by Father Richard A. Infante, pastor of Our Lady of Grace Parish, Scott Township. He will read his short story, “Fields of Grace.”
Admission of $10 includes refreshments. For more information, call 412-341-7494.
At St. Gregory’s Byzantine Catholic Church, Upper St. Clair, the third annual Taste of Heaven cookie sale will take place 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Dec. 7 in the social hall on Mohawk Road (Brookside Farms). Cookies are homemade and containers will be provided. Orders will also be taken for kolbassi, pascha, and nut, apricot and poppyseed rolls, which can be picked up the week before Christmas. For more information, call 412-835-7800.
At South Hills Assembly, Bethel Park, a Christmas Brunch Buffet for women is set for 9:30 a.m.-noon Dec. 6.
• Women of Excellence will meet at 6:30 p.m. Dec. 9. Refreshments, fellowship, worship.
• Christmas Musical “One Quiet Night” will be presented at 7 p.m. Dec. 13-15.
• New toys can be dropped off in the large lobby or reception office through Dec. 15. Monetary donations will be used to purchase toys and gift cards for needy children.
For more information, call 412-835-8900.
At Anglican Parish of Christ the Redeemer, Canonsburg, an Advent Quiet Hour will be held at 9:30 a.m. Dec. 7. Morning prayer and reflection to focus on the birth of Christ. Refreshments will follow.
At Hamilton Presbyterian Church, Bethel Park, the eighth annual Cookie Emporium will take place beginning at 9 a.m. Dec. 7 until all cookies are sold. Cost is $7 per pound. Proceeds benefit church and community projects. Call 412-884-2722 for more information.
At Westminster College, Christmas Vespers will be held at 3 p.m. Dec. 8 in Orr Auditorium. The annual worship service includes familiar Christmas music performed by vocal and instrumental ensembles; lighting of the Advent candles; Scripture readings; and “Given by God,” the message from Westminster College Chaplain the Rev. James R. Mohr II. A voluntary offering will be collected to support students who will be volunteering for the winter and spring break with a purpose work trips and for the Westminster chapter of Habitat for Humanity. A reception will follow in Orr Lobby. Call 724-946-7117 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
At Wallace Memorial Presbyterian Church, Green Tree, the Three Rivers Ringers, Pittsburgh’s premier handbell ensemble, will present a concert of holiday songs at 6 p.m. Dec. 8 in the sanctuary. A reception will follow. Tickets are $7 in advance at www.threeriversringers.org or $10 at the door.
At St. Patrick’s Church, Canonsburg, the Cherub, children’s bell and adult choirs will present a Christmas concert at 6:30 p.m. Dec. 8 in the church. A freewill offering will be taken.
• The Christian Mothers and Women’s Guild will hold its annual Christmas banquet at 1:30 p.m. Dec. 15 at Rolling Hills Country Club. St. Patrick’s Church children’s choir will provide the entertainment. Cost is $25. To RSVP, call 724-745-0639.
At The Bible Chapel, McMurray, a musical celebration of Christmas with The Bible Chapel Worship, Youth and Children’s choirs. Bring the whole family and bless The City Mission with a love offering.
• The Art Group’s Second Annual Christmas Show, Dec. 6-Jan. 10 at the Connections Cafe and Main Lobby.
At Our Lady of Grace School, Scott Township, a Breakfast with Santa will be held 9 a.m.-noon Dec. 7 in the cafeteria. The breakfast will feature French toast and sausage, crafts, Chinese auction, games, holiday music and a digital picture taken with Santa.
Advanced registration is $6 per person or $8 at the door. Families of four or more pay only $20 with a reservation and children under age 2 are free.
For reservations, call 412-279-6611.
At St. Thomas More Roman Catholic Church, Bethel Park, a Christmas with Cahal Dunne will be held at 7 p.m. Dec. 7 in the Family Life Center. Tickets are $25 and are available in the parish office. BYOB. Snacks, soft drinks and set-ups provided.
At Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair, an Advent through the Eyes of Those Who Waited takes place at 10 a.m. Thursdays. Child care available.
• Pet Remembrance Service, 2 p.m. Dec. 15. Family members and pets welcome.
• Christmas concert with USC Chanticleers, church choirs and carols, 7 p.m. Dec. 8. Refreshments.
For details, call 412-835-6630.
At St. John the Baptist Orthodox Church, Canonsburg, advance orders are being taken through Dec. 8 for nut, poppy and apricot rolls. Call 724-743-0231 or 724-225-9593 to place an order.
• A Christmas bake sale is planned for 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Dec. 21.
At Christ U.M. Church, Bethel Park, the Heavenly Cookie Shoppe will be open 9-11 a.m. Dec. 7. Choose from cookies, goodies or craft items. Cookies are $8/ lb. Proceeds benefit missions.
• So You Think You Know Christmas, 9:30 a.m. Dec. 8, 15, 22.
• Holiday Service of Healing and Hope, 7 p.m. Dec. 11. A gentle, candlelit service followed by refreshments.
• Festival of Lessons & Carols, 7 p.m. Dec. 15, featuring the Chancel Choir, Carillon Choir (bells), Wesley Singers (men’s chorus) and Believe (men’s ensemble). Childcare provided.
At Fawcett U.M. Church, Bridgeville, the Christian Crafters are collecting items for its Christmas shoe box ministry for Native American children. Fleece blankets for infant to preteens are also being made. Needed are two yards of fleece material, slippers, socks, mittens, gloves and hats as well as small toys and books.
For more information, call 724-941-1103.
At Community of Christ Church, Bethel Park, a drive-thru live nativity is planned 6-9 p.m. Dec. 14. The story of Jesus’ birth will be told with luminaria-lit living outdoor scenes.