Three new members on Peters Twp. School BoardPublished Dec 4, 2013 at 3:53 pm (Updated Dec 4, 2013 at 3:53 pm)
As Peters Township School Board member Thomas McMurray finished his 30th year on the board, he began his sixth term as president during a reorganizational meeting Dec. 3.
He’s lost track of what years he’s served as board president, but believes the last stint was 2006 or 2007. McMurray is the longest-serving member on the board, and his election as president was unanimous. Sandra Gregg was elected as vice president. The terms will end in December 2014.
While McMurray has served three decades on the board, Dec. 3 signaled the swearing-in of three new board members, along with incumbent Sue Smith.
Taking the oath with Smith were newcomers Lisa Anderson, Rebecca Bowman and the Rev. Dr. Jamison Hardy.
Former board members Lori Cuervo and Cindy Golembiewski lost their bid for re-election in the May primary election. Another incumbent, David Hvizdos, won on the Democratic ticket in May, but came in fifth for four seats in the general election.
The board will continue to meet at 7:30 p.m. the third Monday of the month with the exception of January and February, when the meetings are moved to the third Tuesday. There will be no meeting in July, and the June meeting is set for June 23.
Immediately following the reorganizational meeting, the board held an abbreviated general meeting approving two tutoring extra-duty activities positions for the remainder of the school year to assist students in Algebra 1 prepare for the Keystone examinations. The two teachers will work seven, two-hour sessions for a total of 28 hours. The motion authorized $761 as the total cost.
In other action, the board:
• Approved the change from temporary professional employee to professional employee status for Tracey Betschart, a high school teacher.
• Approved the hire of Sara Ludwig for a half German teacher position at the high school. The hire is a newly created position and is effective Dec. 4.
• Accepted the resignation of Andrew Holman as a desk top technician effective Feb. 28.
• Approved the hire of Dennis Cichy as a custodian at the McMurray and Bower Hill elementary schools, effective Dec. 4, at a rate of $15.65 per hour.
• Patrick Degnan was designated as network administrator at an annual salary of $60,000.
• Approved Kaye Gasper as the indoor winter track volunteer and Will Amend as the assistant girls’ basketball coach at the middle school contingent on the number of girls who try-out for the team.