Sights & Sounds – Dec. 11
During the month of December, Derek Chase Dibrell, a graduate of Bethel Park High School, will show his photography in a month-long show at the Mt. Lebanon Library.
Dibrell, owner of Chase Images, divides his time between shooting urban decay (urbex), landscapes and weddings, sometimes combining all three.
View Dibrell’s images at www.chaseimages.com.
LocaL to perform
LocaL will play a mix of oldies, classic rock, pop, country and originals at 9 p.m. Dec. 14 at Pizzaz Italian Restaurant, McMurray. For more information, visit facebook.com/localband.
Holidays at The Hollywood
The Hollywood Theater, Dormont, will present the following holiday films in December:
• “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation” Quote-a-Long, 9 p.m. Dec. 14, featuring an Ugly Sweater contest, trivia and prizes. Purchase tickets at the door or at www.showclix.com/event/ChristmasVacationQuoteAlong. “Christmas Vacation” will also screen at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 12; 7 p.m. Dec. 13; and 3 p.m. Dec. 14. The Saturday show is $5 for all seats.
• “Scrooged” starring Bill Murray – 9:30 p.m. Dec. 13; 6:30 p.m. Dec. 14; and 7 p.m. Dec. 15. “Scrooged” will be the Hollywood’s Kids Matinee at 1 p.m. Dec. 14, with all seats $3.
• “A Christmas Story” – returns at 2 p.m. Dec. 15 for one screening only, with special guest appearances by some of the film’s actors.
Other offerings include:
• “What’s In A Name,” 7:30 p.m. Dec. 11. Comedy.
• “The Rocky Horror Picture Show,” 11:45 p.m. Dec. 14, a special 35mm screening of the 1975 cult musical. Past shows have sold out in advance, so get tickets early at www.showclix.com/ event/RockyHorrorDec2013 or at the theater. The Junior Chamber of Commerce Players – Pittsburgh’s official Rocky Horror shadow cast – will perform and sell audience participation goodie bags at the door.
• Free event: Wrestling Mayhem Show Appreciation Night, 7 p.m. Dec. 17. A riff on “No Holds Barred” and Wrestling Mayhem Show 400 Recording. www.wrestlingmayhemshow.com.
• Purple Rain Party, 6:30 p.m. Dec. 19. A celebration of all things Prince with music, prizes, rare Prince art and the 1984 movie “Purple Rain.” Doors open at 6:30 followed by the movie at 8. Tickets at the door or www.showclix.com/event/PurpleRainParty.
Call the theater at 412-563-0368 or check www.facebook.com/HollywoodTheaterDormont for updates. Unless noted, admission is $7/adults; $5/children under 12 and seniors.
Kids’ Shopping Day
The ToonSeum, Pittsburgh’s Cultural District, will hold a Kid’s Shopping Day, a discounted sales event providing children the opportunity to shop for friends and family, 1-5 p.m. Dec. 14, offering discounted merchandise including books and comics for all ages, collectibles and membership packages. The gift shop will also be open for browsing. Holiday snacks and treats will be provided throughout the day as well as screenings of favorite holiday films.
For more information, visit www.toonseum.org.
Producers Jude & Shirley Pohl announce that Walt Maddox returns to their Crowne Plaza Cabaret Dinner Theatre with his one-man show for a special New Year’s Eve performance, Dec. 31.
“NAT” is Walt’s tribute to music legend Nat King Cole. The show will begin at 8 p.m. with dinner served at 6:30. Price of the dinner theatre package is $45 (includes both tax and tip).
For information or to make reservations (required), call 724-746-1178.
The Art Group at The Bible Chapel will present its second annual Christmas Show
Through Jan. 10 in the Connections Café and Main Lobby at the South Hills campus, McMurray.
Original artwork will be on display during the Christmas sermon series “Preparing Our Hearts for Christmas.”