Sights & Sounds – Dec. 18
Purple Rain Party
The Hollywood Theater, Dormont, will hold a Purple Rain Party at 6:30 p.m. Dec. 19. A celebration of all things Prince with music, prizes, rare Prince art and the 1984 movie “Purple Rain.” Doors open at 6:30 followed by the movie at 8. Tickets at the door or www.showclix.com/event/PurpleRainParty.
For more information, call 412-563-0368 or visit www.facebook.com/HollywoodTheaterDormont.
Kids’ Night Out
The ToonSeum, in Pittsburgh’s Cultural District, will give parents the opportunity to finish holiday shopping with its newest Friday workshop series Kids’ Night Out. Each Friday in December, Kids Crafts and Classes will be offered from 6-9 p.m. for children ages 5-12, including a Kids Holiday Cartooning class plus a family-favorite film on Dec. 20; and on Dec. 27, a Create-Your-Own Comic class will teach kids to create a comic by developing a story and designing special characters.
Individual classes are $25 per child or sign up for all four for $75. Fee includes all crafts, snacks and drinks (note any special snack requirements at least one week prior to date).
For more information, call 412-232-0199 or visit www.showclix.com/event/KidsNightOut.
The Meadows Racetrack & Casino has an awesome roster of free concerts in December.
• Silks Lounge, 8 p.m.: Dr. Zoot (holiday show), Dec. 20; House of Soul (R&B/funk/soul), Dec. 21; Todd Jones (country), Dec. 27; Airborne (variety/dance), Dec. 28; In the Mood (New Year’s Eve performance), Dec. 31.
• Pacers Lounge , 9 p.m.: “Flashback Fridays” with DJ AJ Fresh, Fridays, featuring videos from the ’70s, ’80s and ’90s; “Saturday Dance Night” with DJ AJ Fresh.
Lenora Nemetz will wrap up 2013 with a showcase of her body of work at the Andrew Carnegie Free Library & Music Hall’s annual benefit. “Lenora! Lenora Nemetz Brings Broadway to Carnegie Carnegie Hall” takes place 8 p.m. Dec. 28. Nemetz has performed on Broadway, in touring shows, regional theater and in her beloved Pittsburgh. “Lenora!” will be followed by an elegant reception on all three floors of the historic landmark – in the Reception Hall, the chic basement Studio and at the Library’s circulation desk. Tickets are $125 for reserved seats in the orchestra or $75 for open seating in the balcony. Proceeds from the concert benefit the Library & Music Hall and the restoration of the historic facility. To purchase tickets, call 412-276-3456 ext. 13 or visit www.carnegiecarnegie.org.
Walt Maddox returns to the Crowne Plaza Cabaret Dinner Theatre with his one-man show for a special New Year’s Eve performance, Dec. 31.
“NAT” is Walt’s tribute to music legend Nat King Cole. The show begins at 8 p.m. with dinner at 6:30. Price of the dinner theatre package is $45 (includes both tax and tip).
For information or reservations (required), call 724-746-1178.
A deadline of Jan. 1 has been set to participate as an artist in the first Pittsburgh Fringe Festival, which will be held May 2-4 and 9-11.
To access updated information regarding applications, locations, tickets and more, visit www.pittsburghfringe.org.
Pittsburgh Fringe Festival supports adventurous and exploratory performing artists by showcasing their uncensored artistic expression in a professional environment. The organization further seeks to enhance this connection through performances, continuing education, workshops, discussions and forums.
The Art Group at The Bible Chapel will present its second annual Christmas Show through Jan. 10 in the Connections Café and Main Lobby at the South Hills campus, McMurray.
Original artwork will be on display during the Christmas sermon series “Preparing Our Hearts for Christmas.”
Sights & Sounds – Dec. 18
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
Chishko, Macri win PIAA titles (120)
Colella appointed to fill vacant BP council seat (66)
PSU students still battle shadow of Sandusky’s actions (57)
Alavi leads PT into PIHL semifinals (38)
Chishko, Macri win PIAA titles (79)
Ballroom dancing not the answer (1)
PSU students still battle shadow of Sandusky’s actions (1)
Colella appointed to fill vacant BP council seat (1)