Getting Together – Dec. 25Published Dec 23, 2013 at 6:21 am (Updated Dec 19, 2013 at 12:20 pm)
South Hills Chamber of Commerce will meet for lunch at noon Jan. 8 at Houlihan’s in the Galleria. Richard R. Applegate, CEO of First Commonwealth Financial Advisors, will present a program on the Economic Forecast for 2014. He will offer a report on the state of Southwestern Pennsylvania’s economy.
Cost is $25/members and $35/nonmembers. To RSVP, call 412-306-8090.
South Hills Women’s Club will meet at 8 p.m. Jan. 13 at Vanadium Woods, Scott Township. Todd DePastino, author of “Citizen Hobo,” will be guest speaker. His book tells the story of the rise and fall of hobohemia. For details, call 412-276-2473.
Southwestern Pennsylvania Registered Nurses Club will meet at 9:30 a.m. Jan. 21 at Hamilton Presbyterian Church, Bethel Park. Lorelei Stein, R.N., will speak on “Medicine in the Mid-to-Late 19th Century.” Call 412-561-6905.
• Winter Reading Club, Jan. 3-31. Read for weekly prizes.
• Family Storytime, 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays in January. Stories, crafts.
• Piggy Bank Tales, 3-5 year olds, 6 p.m. Mondays in January.
• Lego Club, K-fourth grade, 1 p.m. Saturdays in January.
• Teen Advisory Group, grades five and up, 7:30 p.m. Jan. 6. Plan events.
• Windows 8 Class, 6 p.m. Jan. 14. Free.
• Plant-based Cooking Class, 6 p.m. Jan. 15. $5.
• National Dress Up Your Pet Day, 1 p.m. Jan. 18. Dress your pet in costume for a fashion show and prizes.
• Library will be closed Dec. 31 and Jan. 1.
• Volunteers are needed for a few hours each week. Applications are available at the library.
• Staring Jan. 2, the library will be open 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
• Discover Slovak heritage with Rich Kocur at 7 p.m. Jan. 6.
• During the month of December, Derek Chase Dibrell, a graduate of Bethel Park High School, will exhibit his photography. The owner of Chase Images shoots urban decay (urbex), landscapes and weddings, sometimes combining all three. View Dibrell’s images at www.chaseimages.com.
• $500 David K. Held Memorial Scholarships available for high school seniors who work as library pages. Submit a 500-word essay addressing their work at the library and how it will help to shape their future. Deadline is March 15.
• Library will be closed Dec. 31 and Jan. 1.
• After Hours Movie Night, 5 p.m. Jan. 3. Featured will be “Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters.”
• DeJa Vu Book Club, 12:30 p.m. Jan. 4. Discuss “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” by Stephen Chbosky.
• Watercolor painting, ages 6-13, 4 p.m. Tuesdays in January. Cost is $15.
• Chinese Language for grades one-eight, 5 p.m. six Tuesdays starting Jan. 7.
• Library will be closed Jan. 1.
• Empty ink cartridges are accepted for recycling.
Upper St. Clair
• Zentangle by Lynne Martinelli, 7 p.m. Mondays in January. Fee is $10.
• CPR certification by Tri-Community South EMS, 6:30 p.m. Jan. 23. Fee is $35.
Washington County Department of Parks will begin accepting 2014 shelter reservations for Mingo Creek, Ten Mile Creek and Cross Creek parks on Jan. 13. The parks office is in Room 705, Washington County Courthouse Square. Hours are 9-4:30 weekdays.
Applications are available at Canonsburg Borough Building, Agway-Eighty Four, and Peters Township Municipal Building. For details, call 724-228-6867.
Peters Township Parks and Recreation will sponsor a Princess Ball for daughters up to 12 years old with their fathers, grandfathers or uncles at 6 p.m. Feb. 7. Ball includes dinner, dancing and photo ops. Registration begins Dec. 26 at the rec center. For details, call 724-942-5000.
Monongahela Valley Hospital plans the following:
• Circulation Problems in Limbs, 6 p.m. Jan. 21, ECC. Call 724-258-1333.
• Adult CPR Instruction, ECC, 6 p.m. Jan. 28. Fee is $40. Call 724-684-9536.
• First-Aid Instruction, 6 p.m. Jan. 30. Fee is $30. Call 724-684-9536.
Pittsburgh Glass Center is accepting registrations for one-week summer classes May 19-Aug. 15. Register online at www.pittsburghglasscenter.org.
Domestic Violence Services announces a grant from Verizon Foundation to help with its teen dating violence education and awareness programs. The funding will help educate teens to promote healthy relationships in our youth and ultimately end domestic violence in adult relationships. For details, call 724-223-5481.
Learn about wines
Dreadnought Wines in the Strip District plans the following events and classes:
• Wines of South Africa, 6 p.m. Jan. 14. Cost is $39 per person.
• Wine Science/Food & Wine Pairing, 6 p.m. Jan. 22. Cost is $39 per person.
McMurray Art League lists its roster of fall classes on its website, www.mcmurrayartleague.org. Upcoming sessions include:
• Watercolor figures with Jeannie McGuire, 10 a.m. Jan. 21, 22.
• Watercolor with Kit Paulsen, 10 a.m. Feb. 4, 11.
• Watercolor with Tom McNickle, 10 a.m. March 4, 11, 18, 25.
For details, call Ginnie Swartz at 412-835-8081.
Peters Township Parks/Recreation will offer the following classes beginning Jan. 6.
• Basketball for ages 3-6, 1 p.m. Mondays and 10 a.m. Thursdays.
• Stretch-N-Grow for ages 3-5, 1 p.m. Wednesdays or Fridays.
• Toddler Open Gym with caregiver, 10:30 a.m. Fridays. Balls, cones, hoops and mats provided.
For details, call 724-942-5000.