Getting Together – Jan. 1
Bethel Park Lions Club will meet at 6:30 p.m. Jan. 7 at the Crowne Plaza Hotel on Fort Couch Road. For details, call 412-370-6930.
Countryside Book Club will meet at noon Jan. 7 at the home of Sandy Galambas. Adeline Rennekamp will review “Sin Killer” by Larry McMurtry.
South Hills Women’s Club will meet at 8 p.m. Jan. 13 at Vanadium Woods, Scott Twp. Todd DePastino, author of “Citizen Hobo,” will be guest speaker. His book tells the story of the rise and fall of hobohemia. For details, call 412-276-2473.
Women’s Business Network provides personal and professional resources for aspiring businesswomen. Chapter meetings are held as follows:
• McMurray, 8:30 a.m. Jan. 15, The Meadows Mezzanine. Call Melissa Ball at 412-885-4139.
• Mt. Lebanon, 8:30 a.m. Jan. 14, Crowne Plaza Hotel, Fort Couch Road. Call Nancy Greer at 412-343-4361.
• Pittsburgh West, 8 a.m. Jan. 8, Papa Gallo’s, Bridgeville. Call Cheryl Lieb at 412-341-7667.
• South Hills, 8 a.m. Jan. 2, 22, King’s Restaurant, Upper St. Clair. Call Karen McCrory at 412-831-1837.
• Bethel Park, 6 p.m. Bethel Park Municipal Building. Call Tamra McKenna at 412-885-5162.
• Gymamerica: Fitness/Nutrition, 10 a.m. Jan. 10. Free at-home access to the fitness/exercise database. Go to www.bethelparklibrary.org.
• Ways to Raise a Financially Responsible Child, for parents, 11 a.m. Jan. 15 and 7 p.m. Jan. 30. Topics include allowance, savings, spending wisely and charitable giving.
• CCA Book Club, grades three-six, 7 p.m. Jan. 15. Learn about the 2014 Children’s Choice contenders.
• Mystery Book Club, 10 a.m. second Wednesday and 7 p.m. third Wednesday.
• Evening Book Club, 7:30 p.m. third Thursday or second Tuesday.
• Morning Book Club, 10 a.m. last Thursday.
• Plant-based Cooking Class, 6 p.m. Jan. 15. Cost is $5.
• National Dress Up Your Pet Day, 1 p.m. Jan. 18. Dress your pet in costume for a fashion show and prizes.
• Staring Jan. 2, the library will be open 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
• Library will be closed Dec. 31 and Jan. 1.
• $500 David K. Held Memorial Scholarships available for high school seniors who work as library pages. Submit a 500-word essay addressing their work at the library and how it will help to shape their future. Deadline is March 15.
• Antique/Collectible identification, 1:15-4 p.m. Jan. 19. Cost is $5 for id’s.
• Civil War: Western Theater-Geographic Focus, 7 p.m. Jan. 22.
• Chinese Language for grades one-eight, 5 p.m. six Tuesdays starting Jan. 7.
• Homeschoolers Group, parents and grades one and up, 3 p.m. Jan. 8, 22.
• Teen Ping Pong Challenge, 3 p.m. Wednesdays.
• Free workshop for Federal Student Aid for college-bound seniors and parents, noon Jan. 18.
• Breakfast with Scottie, ages 3-8, 10 a.m. Jan. 2.
• Green Cleaning, 7 p.m. Jan. 9. Learn to clean your home with items from your pantry.
• Conversation Salon, 1 p.m. Jan. 13. Topics are New Year’s resolutions and advertising for prescription drugs.
• Scrabble Club, 2 p.m. Tuesdays.
• Adult Book Discussion, 3:30 p.m. Jan. 16. Discuss “Lucia, Lucia” by Adriana Trigiani.
• Magic Dragon Club, grades one-five, 6 p.m. Jan. 2. Children will work on their own creations to submit for publication.
• Tales ‘n Tunes, ages 3-5 with caregivers. Songs, stories, activities.
• Mother Goose Story Time, birth to 3 years old, 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays/Wednesdays in January. Songs, finger plays, stories.
• Chess Club, 5:30 p.m. beginners and 6:45 p.m. intermediate players, Mondays Jan. 6-Feb. 24.
• E-reader Drop-in Help Sessions, 6 p.m. Jan. 8, 22. Support for Kindles, Nooks and iPads.
Holiday on Ice
Music for Mt. Lebanon will sponsor its Holiday on Ice fundraiser at 7:30 p.m. Dec. 30 at the Mt. Lebanon Ice Rink. Headliners include Jessie Anderson of Cleveland and Maria Fu of Cincinnati. Local skaters include Emily Brooks, Olivia Calfo and Sarah Smilowitz. The Rick Purcell Orchestra will present holiday music and youth hockey players will be featured.
Patron tables are available for $1,000 per eight-person table. This includes show, reception and dinner. General admission is $20. Students pay $15 and children pay $10.
Purchase tickets online at www.musicformtlebanon.org or call 412-258-4814.
Washington County Department of Parks will begin accepting 2014 shelter reservations for Mingo Creek, Ten Mile Creek and Cross Creek parks on Jan. 13. The parks office is in Room 705, Washington County Courthouse Square. Hours are 9-4:30 weekdays.
Applications are available at Canonsburg Borough Building, Agway-Eighty Four, and Peters Township Municipal Building. For details, call 724-228-6867.
Peters Township Parks and Recreation will sponsor a Princess Ball for daughters up to 12 years old with their fathers, grandfathers or uncles at 6 p.m. Feb. 7. Includes dinner, dancing and photo ops. Registration begins Dec. 26 at the rec center. For details, call 724-942-5000.
A bone density screening will be held 1-3 p.m. Jan. 8 at the Healthy Directions at Giant Eagle in Finleyville. No need to register. For details, call 724-348-6699.
Women Veterans Wellness Event is set for 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Jan. 10 at the VA Butler Healthcare Auditorium in Butler. Healthy recipe demos, manicures, screenings, refreshments. RSVP to 724-285-2756.
Pittsburgh Glass Center is accepting registrations for one-week summer classes May 19-Aug. 15. Register online at www.pittsburghglasscenter.org.
Human Management Graduate Program at LaRoche College will host business and human resources professionals to the 15th Professional Development Series at its main campus. The series features the following workshops:
• Jan. 9-Analytic Tools for Every ER Professional
• Feb. 10-Global Challenge: Intersection Between HRM and Corporate Social Responsibility
• March 13-Change Mangement
• April 7-Conducting Internal Investigations: What Every HR Professional Needs to Know
A networking reception with refreshments begins at 6 p.m. Presentations will follow. Cost is $15 per session. To register, call 412-536-1193.
Learn about wines
Dreadnought Wines in the Strip District plans the following events and classes:
• Wine Science/Food & Wine Pairing, 6 p.m. Jan. 22. Cost is $39 per person.
McMurray Art League lists its roster of fall classes on its website, www.mcmurrayartleague.org. Sessions include:
• Watercolor figures with Jeannie McGuire, 10 a.m. Jan. 21, 22.
• Watercolor with Kit Paulsen, 10 a.m. Feb. 4, 11.
• Watercolor with Tom McNickle, 10 a.m. Mar, 4, 11, 18, 25.
For details, call Ginnie Swartz at 412-835-8081.
Peters Township Parks/Recreation will offer the following classes beginning Jan. 6.
• Stretch-N-Grow for ages 3-5, 1 p.m. Wednesdays or Fridays.
• Toddler Open Gym with caregiver, 10:30 a.m. Fridays. Balls, cones, hoops and mats provided.
For details, call 724-942-5000.
Getting Together – Jan. 1
- Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
- Any poster that insults,threatens or verbally abuses or another member,uses defamatory language,or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
- Users who violate the Terms of service or any commenting rules will be banned
- Please stay on topic."Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted
- To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of service
- To report breaches of the Terms of service use the report abuse button
There Are Comments.
Spoonwood Brewing to open this fall in Bethel (11)
Canon-Mac, South Fayette advance to Final Four in wrestling (8)
Hershey semisweet for Seton-La Salle (6)
South Hills police participating in Drug Take-Back Day April 26 (81)
Mt. Lebanon assessments grossly unfair (3)
Lebo rifle space still in limbo (3)
USC residents get a lot for their tax dollars (3)
Charges on South Fayette bully victim to be dropped (1)
Air quality a concern (1)