Getting Together – Feb. 19
California Area Toastmasters Club will soon begin meeting on a regular basis. An open house is planned for the near future. Email CalUToastmaster@gmail.com for future developments.
Giant Oaks Garden Club will meet at 11 a.m. March 6 at St. David Anglican Church, Venetia. “Twiggeries” will be presented by JP Malocsay who will demonstrate the art and science of creating with your yard’s fallen twigs. Cost for lunch and program is $7. To RSVP, call 724-746-4664.
Canonsburg Business & Professional Club will meet at 6 p.m. Feb. 20 at King’s Family Restaurant. Plans are underway for “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” at Bella Sera on April 5. For details, visit canonsburgbpw.org.
• Tuesday Book Club, 7 p.m. second Tuesday.
• Scrabble Club, 1 p.m. Tuesdays.
• Appy Hour, 7 p.m. Feb. 20. Alex Zawojski will discuss latest and best apps.
• Birthday Club, K-second grade, 4:30 p.m. Feb. 21.
• Pittsburgh’s Mansions presented by author Melanie Linn Gutowski, 7 p.m. Feb. 25. Books will be available for purchase.
• Body Combat Fitness free session, 7 p.m. Feb. 26. Tone, shape, build self confidence.
• Toddler Times with adult, 10 a.m. Wednesdays.
• Wills Clinic, senior citizens, fourth Thursday. Appointments available 5-6 or 6-7 p.m.
• Chess Club, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Wednesdays. Adults and teens. Bring lunch.
• Mardi Gras Masquerade, 5:30 p.m. March 1. Make a mask, eat Southern-inspired food and enjoy a magic show with Joe Nuzum. Cost is $2.
• “Guns, Germs and Steel” by Jared Diamond is March’s nonfiction book for discussion.
• Wii is available for adults 3-4 p.m. Mondays.
• Used Book Sale continues. Fill a bag for $5.
• Bring donations of nonperishable food items to the library for the Washington County Food Bank.
• Vegetable Gardening/Seed Sharing, 10 a.m. Feb. 22. Cost is $10 for hundreds of seeds.
• Landscape Design, 6:30 p.m. Feb. 24, March 3 & 10. Ground covers, native plants, rain barrels.
• Civil War: Western Theater, 7 p.m. Feb. 26 & March 26.
• Open Art Studio Saturdays for kids, 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. March 1.
• Super Hero Day, all ages, 10:30 a.m. Feb. 22. Dress like your favorite Super Hero.
• Facing the Sunshine and Avoiding the Shadows: Strategies to Stay Sane and Positive Amid Change, presented by Becky Johnen, 7 p.m. Feb. 26.
• World War II Discussion Group, 11 a.m. Feb. 26.
• Mystery Book Club, adults, 1 p.m. Feb. 26. Discuss “Mercy” by Julia Garwood.
• Adult Book Club, 6:30 p.m. Feb. 24.
• Knitting Group, all levels, 11 a.m. Feb. 22.
• Travel to the Caribbean with Maria Selfo, travel consultant, 7 p.m. Feb. 24.
• An Evening with Dr. Debbie Pakler, psychic medium, 7 p.m. Feb. 27.
Upper St. Clair
• Young Colonel Washington presented by L. Jon Grogan, 7 p.m. Feb. 20.
Trax Farms will sponsor its Winter Wine Festival noon-5 p.m. Feb. 22. Seven wineries will be on hand. Shelf Life String Band will provide music. Tickets purchased in advance are $15 or $20 at the event.
Washington County Parks will hold an Owl Prowl at 7 p.m. Feb. 28 starting at the Mingo Creek Park office. Trek across Mingo to listen for Eastern Screech and Barred owls after dark. RSVP to 724-228-6867.
Pittsburgh Glass Center is accepting registrations for summer glass bootcamp for high school students set for July 14-18. The science and art of glass will be offered to ages 13-18 including hands-on experience. No experience required. Scholarships available. Visit www.pittsburghglasscenter.org.
• Works of glass artists Granite Calimpong and Brent Rogers will be exhibited through April 20.
• Girls Night Out, 6-10 p.m. Feb. 28. Glassblowing and cocktails.
Pet Search will hold a Rabies Plus Clinic 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Feb. 23 at Mt. Pleasant Fire Department, Hickory. Rabies vaccinations will be available for cats and dogs for $6. Dog DHLPP booster, bordatella, lyme cat FCrCP booster and leukemia vaccinations will also be available. Microchipping is $25. For details, call 724-228-7335.
South Hills Interfaith Ministries, Bethel Park, will host “Eat Soup!” 5:30-7:30 p.m. March 2. This Souper Supper will raise funds to stock food pantry shelves for those in need. Cost is $10 per person. Buy tickets online at shim-center.org/souper-supper.
SAS Shoes has launched a drive to collect shoes for Soles4Souls, an international antipoverty organization. Used and new shoes can be dropped off at 2200 Tanger Blvd., Washington, through Feb. 28.
Keynotes of Music for Mt. Lebanon will hold its 44th Annual Scholarship Competition on May 17 at Mt. Lebanon Fine Arts Theater. Applicant must be a full-time music major at a college, university or music school or a graduating high school senior accepted for admissions as a full-time music major. Contestants must reside in Allegheny or Washington counties. For details, call Toni Kvederis at 412-220-3080.
Fix Ur Cat will hold its annual spaghetti dinner fundraiser 4-7 p.m. Feb. 28 at the Western Area Career Technology Center, Houston. Tickets are $10. All profits benefit low-cost cat neutering/spaying. For reservations, call 724-746-2890.
Fix Ur Cat is a not-for-profit volunteer group aimed at the heart of the problem of cat overpopulation-uncontrolled breeding.
Monongahela Valley Hospital plans a breastfeeding class at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 24 at Mon-Vale HealthPLEX. Free. Call 724-258-2229 ext. 9.
Fresenius Medicare Care will offer a free program called “How to Know if You Have Chronic Kidney Disease” at 6 p.m. Feb. 27 in the Anthony Lombardi Education Conference Center at Monongahela Valley Hospital. Learn about chronic kidney disease, its risk factors, symptoms and treatment options.
To register, call 855-233-2248.
Lucas Markantone Painting will provide the basics of painting at 10 a.m. Feb. 22 at the Landmarks Preservation Resource Center in Wilkinsburg. For details, call Mary Lu Denny at 412-471-5808 ext. 527.
Rusted Root’s Jim Donovan will hold an Intro to Sound Empowerment Training at noon March 1 at the Metamorphosis Center in McMurray. Topics include creating/facilitating drum circles and how to combine the drumming experience with an array of powerful voice, breathing/meditation techniques.
Cost is $99. To register, visit jimdonovanmusic.com.