Getting Together – March 5Published Mar 5, 2014 at 6:14 am (Updated Feb 28, 2014 at 2:11 pm)
South Hills Chamber of Commerce will meet at 4 p.m. March 12 at the Crowne Plaza. David Tobin will present “How to Convert Business Value into Family Wealth.” Call 412-306-8090 to RSVP.
Upper St. Clair Coterie will meet at 11:30 a.m. March 13 at the LeMont on Mt. Washington. Former Miss Pennsylvania (1998) Mayra Acosta Hoy will provide the program. For reservations, call 724-745-4206.
Golden Triangle Decorative Painters will hold its business meeting at 12:30 p.m. March 16 at the Finleyville Community Center. Danny Porterfield will teach a class in Batik on rice paper at 10 a.m.
The annual basket luncheon will be held April 27 at Peters Place.
Animal artist Karen Hubbard will lead a seminar May 2-4. Call 724-785-5582 for details.
South Hills Aglow will meet at 7 p.m. March 17 at South Hills Assembly, Bethel Park. Apostle William C. Burgess Sr., founder and overseer of The Lord’s Church of Washington, will be the guest speaker. Men and women are welcome. A nominal room fee will be charged.
Dormont Historical Society will present local historian Edd Hale at 7 p.m. March 19 at the Dormont Library. Topic will be “The Great Castle Shannon Bank Robbery of 1917.” Free. For details, call 412-341-3667.
WOMEN of Southwestern PA, Inc. will meet at 6 p.m. March 20 at Bella Sera, Canonsburg. Jullie Ann Sullivan and Marylu Zuk will present “Laugh Your A&& Off!”
Cost is $25. RSVP to 724-942-3058 by March 13.
• Scavenger Hunt, grades 5+, March 9-15. Solve the hunt with an iPod or iPhone. Prizes.
• Magic Treehouse Book Club, K-second grade, 6 p.m. Mondays March 10-31. Read “Leprechaun in Late Winter.”
• Animation Club, grades 2-4, 7 p.m. Mondays March 10-31. Bring an iPod or iPhone.
• Night Owls, grades 5+, 8 p.m. March 11. Owl-crafting fun.
• Pittsburgh South Writers Group, 7 p.m. March 11.
• CCA Book Club, grades 5-6, 7 p.m. March 13.
• Babies and Books with adult, 11 a.m. Fridays, through May 16.
• American Girl Book Club, second-fifth grade girls, 6:30 p.m. March 6. Read “Marisol.”
• A variety of book clubs meet at the library.
• Teens may audition for a role in “Many Moons” 1-2 p.m. March 8 or 15. A stage crew is also needed.
• New exhibit opens in the gallery 2-4 p.m. March 8. Members of Washington Camera Club will display their works.
• Spring Auction March 4-May 1. Call 724-926-8400. Items include George Foreman Grille, Hooverwet/Dry Vac and Easy Sew Portable Sewing Machine. Drawing and bake sale on May 1. Tickets are 2/$1 or 12/$5. For details, call 724-926-8400.
• Little Achievers’ Wee Play Group, 10:30 a.m. March 7.
• German Conversation Group, 7:30 p.m. March 10.
• Screenplay Basics Course, 6:45 p.m. March 11, 18, 25, April 1, 8 and 15. Tuition is $150.
• Board Game Night, teens-adults, 7 p.m. March 11. Euro-style board games.
• Writer’s Group, 7 p.m. March 11. Share and edit work.
• Anger Management Strategies for Children/Parents, 6:30 p.m. March 12.
• Make Natural Personal Care Products, 6:30 p.m. March 10. $25 for supplies.
• Genealogy Club, 1 p.m. March 11.
• Pen/Ink Drawing with Color Accents, ages 6-13, 4 p.m. March 11-April 1. $15 plus supplies.
• Mini Garden Sanctuary, 7 p.m. March 11.
• Family Movie Night, 6 p.m. March 13. Film: “Pinocchio.”
• Scrabble for Adults, 2 p.m. Tuesdays. All levels.
• Rainbow Magic, ages 6-12, 3:30 p.m. March 8. Fairy games, crafts.
• Conversation Salon, 1 p.m. March 10. Topics include doctor-assisted suicide and winning $100 million in the lottery.
• Chess Club, K-eighth grade, 5:30 p.m. March 10, 17, 31.
• Mother Goose Story Time, birth-3 years, 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays/Wednesdays.
• eReader Drop-in Help Sessions, 6 p.m. March 12 and 26. Kindles, Nooks and iPads.
Larry’s Hometown Heroes will honor five individuals at the Lexus Club at PNC Park on March 6. Speakers include Frank Coonelly, Pittsburgh Pirates president and Jason Braase, a member of Warriors Speak. Tickets are $125. Proceeds benefit Wounded Warrior Project. Tickets are available through Eventbrite. Heroes will receive a $1,000 donation to a charity of their choice.
Washington County Parks will sponsor a Galls, Egg Cases and Nests Walk March 8 at Mingo Creek Park. Walkers should gather at 10 a.m. at Shelter 6. Explore animal architecture, plant galls, egg cases and last summer’s bird nests. To register, call 724-228-6867.
Troop 22 will sponsor a scouting program meeting at 7:45 p.m. March 11 at Southminster Presbyterian Church, Mt. Lebanon. Learn about camping adventures, leadership development and community service projects. Caregivers and future scouts are encouraged to attend. RSVP to Jamie.Petrolias@gmail.com.
Orchid Society of Western PA will hold its annual Orchid Show 10 a.m.-5 p.m. March 15 and 10 a.m.-4 p.m. March 16 at Phipps Garden Center on Shady Avenue. No charge. This year’s theme is Orchids, the Gems of the Plant World. Free educational classes and lectures will be available each day. For details, visit www.oswp.org.
The 10th Pittsburgh Knit and Crochet Festival will take place March 14-16 at the Four Points Sheraton in Mars. Author Debbie Macomber will sign books 5-6 p.m. Friday, 2-4:30 p.m. Saturday and 9-11 a.m. Sunday.
Linda Voss Plummer will teach a finishing class at 6 p.m. March 14. For details, call 412-963-7030.
Black Association of South Hills for Women will hold its scholarship fundraiser luncheon at 11 a.m. March 22 at the Doubletree by Hilton Meadowlands in Washington. One goal is to generate funds for scholarships to qualified black high school seniors who are pursuing a post-secondary education. Tickets for “Cruising Again” are $35. For details, visit www.bashforwomen.com.
The Four Townsmen Show Band and Mansfield 5 will perform March 8 at the SNPJ Hall in Sygan. Proceeds will support the Fayette Foundation for Excellence helping to fund activities and programs to enrich the academic and artistic curriculum of students. Tickets are $20. Call 724-693-9441.
Peters Township Parks and Recreation will present a dinner-theater, “Montana Marie Gets Gunned Down at Three” on March 15. Doors open at 5 p.m.; dinner at 5:30 p.m. For reservations, call 724-942-5000.
Monongahela Valley Hospital plans the following:
• Childbirth Prep, 7 p.m. March 5, 12, 19, 26, Mon-Vale HealthPLEX. 724-258-2229 ext. 9.
• Weight Loss Surgery, 6 p.m. March 10, ECC. 412-641-3632
Arthritis & Agriculture
Arthritis Foundation and AgrAbility will offer free workshops for farmers, gardeners, agricultural workers and healthcare professionals at 3 p.m. March 6 at the Arthritis Foundation at Foster Plaza #11, Green Tree.
Topics will include information on arthritis as a disease, treatment and pain management options, sources of joint stress and pain on the farm, operation changes, modifications to farm equipment and assistive technology tools.
To register, call 412-250-3343.
Learn about wines
Dreadnought Wines in the Strip District plans the following programs:
• The Soil Effect, 6 p.m. March 6. Learn how soil can impact the wine’s character. $35.
• Grape Spirits, 6 p.m. March 10. Explore Grappa & Pisco through Armagnac and Cognac. $45 includes cheese and charcuterie.
• Casual classes, 5:30 p.m. March 7 and 21. $12.
South Arts Pittsburgh plans painting, drawing and photography classes at the Schoolhouse Arts Center, Bethel Park.
• Watercolors/Girls Night Out with Laura Lutton, 6 p.m. Fridays, March 14-April 11.
• Exploring Pastels with Gail Beem, 10 a.m. April 1, 8, 15, 22.
• Clothed Figure Drawing with Brian McDermott, 1 p.m. April 3, 10, 17, 24.
For details, call 412-835-9010.
Washington County Parks will offer a Needle and Yarn Craft workshop at 10 a.m. March 12 at the Mingo Creek Park office. Project is an eyeglass/scissor case. Bring a quilted pot holder, one-inch button, scissors, needle and thread. RSVP to 724-228-6867.