Religion – March 5
At Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair, a Mom to Mom Heart Talk is held at 9:30 a.m. Thursdays through April 3. Topics include: When You’re Running on Empty, Taming the Top 10 Marriage Monsters and Who’s the Parent Here?
For more information, call 412-835-6630.
• Lenten Bible study, “The Suffering Servant, Crucifixion & Resurrection will be held at 10 a.m. March 13, 20 & 27.
At Christ the Redeemer Anglican Parish, Canonsburg, Ash Wednesday services will be held at noon and 7 p.m. March 5.
• A new 5 p.m. Saturday service has been added.
• Caring/Sharing Cancer Support Group will meet at 6:30 p.m. March 11. Soup will be served.
For details, call 724-745-0685.
At St. Stephen Lutheran Church, Scott Township, Lent will begin with the imposition of ashes at 12:30 and 7:30 p.m. Ash Wednesday, March 5. Evening prayer will be held at 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays in Lent.
• Sunday church school and adult Bible class begin at 9:15 a.m.
• A counseling center is open to anyone in the surrounding communities.
For more information, call 412-279-5868.
At South Hills Assembly, Bethel Park, a 12-week seminar on living according to Biblical principals titled Cleansing Stream will begin March 5. For more information, call 412-835-8900 ext. 101.
At St. Patrick Parish, Canonsburg, Ash Wednesday Masses will begin at 7 and 9 a.m., noon and 7 p.m. on March 5.
• Benediction and solemn sung Lenten vespers will be held at 6:30 p.m. March 11, 18, 25, April 1, 8 and 15.
• Stations of the Cross are set for 2:10 and 7:30 p.m. Fridays in Lent. Living stations are planned for 7:30 p.m. March 21.
For details, call 724-745-6560.
At Our Redeemer Lutheran Church, McMurray, three worship services are planned on Ash Wednesday. A brief service for young children will begin at 11:35 a.m. Traditional services of ashes and Communion will be held at 12:15 and 7 p.m.
At Christ U.M. Church, Bethel Park, the holy season of Lent will begin at 7:30 p.m. March 5 with a service led by Keith Kaufold, pastor of 8th Ave. Place. The Chancel Choir will provide the music.
• A Lenten study: The Way will be held at 7 p.m. Wednesdays, beginning March 12. RSVP to the church office.
• Men’s Ministry will sponsor the annual Christian Athlete Recognition Breakfast at 9 a.m. March 22. A group of high school junior and senior students will receive awards. Master of ceremonies will be former Cleveland Indians pitcher Tom McGough.
• A Musical Excursion will be presented at 7 p.m. March 16. Charles May on violin, Mary May on cello, Jennifer Marshall on organ and Andy Moore on drums will offer a variety of styles including gospel, spiritual, jazz and classical. Travel around the world with music from American to African and Celtic to Caribbean. An offering will be taken.
Call 412-835-6621 for more information.
At Peters Creek Baptist Church, South Park, one of Southern Gospel’s most popular groups, The Booth Brothers, will perform at 7 p.m. March 6. The Booth Brothers, consisting of brothers Ronnie and Michael Booth and their friend, Jim Brady, are one of Southern Gospel’s most well-known trios, and have been the recipient of many awards and accolades for their music. Tickets are $18 ($20 with a credit card) and can be purchased at the church or at www.peterscreekbaptist.com.
At South Hills Church of the Nazarene, Bethel Park, the video event “Stepping Up” will be presented 7-9:30 p.m. March 7 and concludes 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. March 8. Speakers will include Dennis Rainey, Bill Bennett, James Macdonald, Mark Driscoll and Tony Dungy. Worship will be offered by Rick Butor of The Bible Chapel.
Cost is $30. For details, call Stephen Mannion at 412-610-3289.
At South Hills Assembly, Bethel Park, a free HonorBound Men’s breakfast is set for 9 a.m. March 8. Call 412-276-8138.
• Lunch Bunch for ages 65+, noon March 20. Cost is $6 for lunch and study.
• HonorBound Men’s Partners in Christ breakfast, 9 a.m. March 29 at PJ’s Restaurant in the Crowne Plaza. For details, call Dr. Vince Trocheck at 412-653-0452.
At the Beth Israel Center, Jefferson Hills, the third lecture of its Adult Education Lecture Series will take place at 7:30 p.m. March 9. Rabbi Mark Mahler of Temple Emanuel Synagogue will discuss “The First Century.”
There is no fee.
At Our Lady of Grace, Scott Township, the Women’s Guild/Confraternity of Christian Mothers will host Joanne Milburn at 7 p.m. March 12 in Keefer Hall. She will speak on “The Fruit of Love: Evangelism.” This event is open to all women.
For more information, call 412-279-7070.
At St. Valentine Parish, Bethel Park, the Seton Hill Chamber Choir, Una Voca, will perform in concert at 7:30 p.m. March 13. For details, call Daniel Kovacic at 412-835-7720.
At The Bible Chapel, McMurray, Bless a Dress will be held 9 a.m.-noon Saturdays in March in the South Lobby, door #6. Dresses can be dropped off at The Bible Chapel to be distributed at a later date. Visit k-love.com/events for more information.
• Free income tax preparation for senior citizens and low income individuals, 8:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Monday-Friday, through April 15, South Hills campus, Room 183. First come, first served. Bring proof of identification and supporting documents. No new client numbers will be given out past 2 p.m.
• Celebrate Recovery program, 6 p.m. Saturdays, Washington campus. Christian support utilizing 12 Biblical steps and eight recovery principals. The program is conducted by Christians and is based on the Celebrate Recovery curriculum.
For more information, visit biblechapel.org.
At St. Paul of the Cross Retreat Center, South Side, Pittsburgh, the Mercy Parish Nurse and Health Ministry Program, part of Pittsburgh Mercy Health System and sponsored by the Sisters of Mercy, will hold the Lenten retreat “Psalms for Busy People: Practicing the Presence of God in Our Everyday Lives.” The retreat will take place April 11 and 12 at the retreat center, located at 148 Monastery Drive.
Registration begins at 6 p.m. Friday, and the retreat ends at 3:30 p.m. Saturday. The retreat fee is $110 per participant, which includes overnight accommodations, meals and retreat handouts. Parking is free.
Led by Rebecca Cole-Turner, a former psychologist who is now a spiritual director and retreat facilitator, the retreat will include mindful contemplation and spiritual practices through the use of scripture, songs, chants, prayer, poetry, art, writing, quiet time and group reflection. Download registration forms on the Mercy Parish Nurse and Health Ministry website at www.pmhs.org/about-us/news-and-publications.aspx. Send the completed form and payment to the “Mercy Parish Nurse and Health Ministry Program” by March 21.
At Calvary Full Gospel Church, Bridgeville, Sunday services are held at 10 a.m. For more information, call 412-257-1707.
At St. Thomas More Church, Bethel Park, Eucharistic Adoration follows the 11:30 a.m. Mass every Wednesday. The rosary is recited after Mass. The Chaplet of Divine Mercy is recited at 3 p.m. Recited evening prayer begins at 7 p.m. followed by Benediction.