Getting Together - March 12
Western PA Lensshooters Camera Club will meet at 7 p.m. March 12 at Peters Township Public Library. Nature photographer Perri Schelat will be the speaker. Photo theme is “still life.”
South Hills Chamber of Commerce will hold a legislative breakfast with John Maher, Dan Miller and Sen. Matt Smith, 7:30 a.m. March 26, Crowne Plaza.
Call 412-306-8090 to RSVP.
South Park Women’s Club will meet at 7 p.m. March 17 in the Community Center. A plant guru from Lowe’s Garden Center will speak on the do’s and don’ts of spring planting.
Mt. Lebanon Genealogy Society will meet at 1 p.m. March 17 at Mt. Lebanon Public Library. Marilyn Holt, head of the Pennsylvania Dept. of the Carnegie Library, will speak on “Researching Ancestors in Europe.” Free.
Southwestern PA Registered Nurses Club will meet at 9:30 a.m. March 18 at Hamilton Presbyterian Church, Bethel Park. Diane Becker, RN of UPMC Mercy will speak on “New Diabetic Medications and Delivery Systems.” For details, call 412-561-6905.
Bethel Woman’s Club will hold its Hat and Tea luncheon at noon March 19 at Christ U.M. Church. Beth Steinberg will present a Carousel of Costumes. To RSVP, call 412-835-9567.
Bethel Park Lioness Club will hold guest night at 6:30 p.m. March 19 at Rolling Hills Country Club. Kurt Radke will provide the entertainment. For details, call 412-835-2008.
• Writing Club, grades 2-4, 2 p.m. Sundays in March.
• Horn-O-Copia: A Trumpet Journey by Donald Duncan, 7 p.m. March 18. Trumpet mini-concert.
• Photography presented by sports photographer Vincent Pugliese, 7 p.m. March 19.
• Library will be closed for upgrades on March 22.
• Conversation Salon, 1 p.m. March 18.
• Wills Clinic every fourth Thursday. Appointments available 5-6 p.m. or 6-7 p.m. call 412-859-5990.
• A variety of book clubs meet at the library.
• Super Science, elementary kids, 6 p.m. March 18.
• Windows 8.1, 10:15 a.m. March 18, 19, 20. $5.
• Matinee, adults, 2 p.m. March 21. New release and refreshments.
• Infant Stimulation, 1 p.m. Wednesdays or 10:30 a.m. Saturdays. Techniques for baby’s intellectual growth.
• Play Days, first-third grades, 10:30 a.m. March 15. $1 per session.
• Library Explorers, K-fourth grade, 5:30 p.m. Mondays.
• Spring Auction through May 1. Call 724-926-8400. Items include George Foreman Grille, Hooverwet/Dry Vac and Easy Sew Portable Sewing Machine. Drawing and bake sale on May 1. Tickets are 2/$1 or 12/$5.
For details, call 724-926-8400.
• Johannes Brahms: His Life and Music, 10 a.m. six Fridays starting March 14.
• Historical Society, 7 p.m. March 19. Memoirs of a Korean War Bride.
• Horn-o-copia: A Trumpet Journey, 7 p.m. March 20.
• French Conversation, 7:30 p.m. March 13.
• Science for Airheads, ages 2-5 with an adult, 6 p.m. Thursdays, beginning March 13.
• Teen Trivial Pursuit Pop Culture Competition, 1 p.m. March 15.
• Word Processing 3, 7 p.m. March 18. $5.
• National Craft Month, ages 5+, 2 p.m. March 16.
• Adult Book Discussion, 3:30 p.m. March 20. Read “History of Love” by Nicole Krauss.
• Toddler Storytime, 10:15 a.m. Mondays.
• Tales ‘n Tunes Story Time, ages 3-5, 10:30 a.m. March 14, 21, 28.
• Reading Social, noon March 18. Discuss “The Lacuna” by Barbara Kingsolver.
• Magic Tree House Club, second-fourth grade, 6:30 p.m. March 20. Crafts, readings, science experiments, film clips.
Admission to Carnegie Museums of Art and Natural History is free to all visitors 4-8 p.m. Thursdays in March, made possible by The Jack Buncher Foundation.
Artist of the Year
Box Heart Gallery in Pittsburgh will begin this exhibition year with its 2014 Artist of the Year: Irina Koukhanova and her Pittsburgh debut with “Panoptic Landscape” March 18-May 16. A cocktail reception is set for 5-8 p.m. March 22.
Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy will sponsor a New Vision of Nature and Gardens at 6 p.m. March 19 at the Pittsburgh Golf Club. Sheila Brady and Jody Payne of New York Botanical Garden will provide the program. Dinner included. $150. To RSVP, call Beth Bodamer at 412-682-7275.
Monongahela Valley Hospital plans the following:
• Talk with a Doc: Carpel Tunnel Syndrome, 1 p.m. March 17, Bethel Park Municipal Bldg. Are Your Bones Strong? 10 a.m. Center in the Woods, Brownsville. 724-258-1333.
• Auxiliary Souper Luncheon, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. March 20, ECC. Proceeds benefit Monongahela Valley Hospital. 724-258-1167.
Life Line Screening will be held March 17 in the Family Life Center at St. Thomas More Church, Bethel Park. Screenings will be held relating to blocked arteries, abdominal aortic aneurysms, hardening of the arteries in the legs, atrial fibrillation or irregular heartbeat and a bone density screening. To register, call 1-888-653-6441.
Shape up for Spring
Dance, Hip Hop and Aerobics classes are held at 6:30 p.m. Thursdays at the First Baptist Church, McDonald. Low-impact exercises for all ages, shapes and genders. Free. Call 412-965-3864.
New Choices Career Development Program of PA Women Work will begin free career development and computer classes the week of March 24 at Community College of Beaver County. This program is for single parents and homemakers. For details, call 412-742-4362.
Pittsburgh Fringe Festival plans theatrical workshops in the Cathedral of Learning at Pitt. Programs begin at 6:30 p.m.
• March 25 - Movement Expressed through the Body Unlocks the Doors to Creativity.
• April 1 - Crafting a Play with audiences in Mind.
• April 22 - Experimental Theatre Techniques for Actors/Directors.
• May 6 - Social Networking for Artists.
For details, email workshop2pghfringe.org.
South Arts Pittsburgh plans painting, drawing and photography classes at the Schoolhouse Arts Center, Bethel Park.
• Drawing basics and more with Sandra Ward, 10 a.m. for six Saturdays beginning April 5.
For details, call 412-835-9010.
Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation will sponsor the following workshops at the Landmarks Preservation Resource Center in Wilkinsburg:
• Landscape design, 10 a.m. March 15. Learn about soil, trees, ornaments, hardscape.
• How to Frame a Wall, 6 p.m. March 18. Learn safe use of hand/power tools, layout, measuring, cutting.
• Flooring, wood and laminate, 6 p.m. March 25 and 27.
For details, call 412-471-5808 ext. 527.