Getting Together – April 9Published Apr 9, 2014 at 6:01 am (Updated Apr 7, 2014 at 11:07 am)
Wine and chocolate
WOMEN of Southwestern PA will host Wine, WOMEN and Chocolate at 6 p.m. April 10 at Country Confections, North Strabane Township. Make truffles and taste wine with Angela Burgess, owner of Washington Winery. Cost is $20. Dinner will be at Fiori’s Pizza in McMurray. RSVP to Jan Kennedy at 724-941-2794.
Green Tree Women’s Civic Club will host a free spring magic show at 2 p.m. April 12 in Carlisle Social Hall. Crafts, snacks and the Easter Bunny. Register ahead at www.greentreeboro.com.
South Hills Women’s Club will meet at 8 p.m. April 14 at Vanadium Woods, Scott Township. Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s John Allison will be the speaker. For details, call 412-276-2473.
Bethel Park Lioness Club will meet at 6:30 p.m. April 16 at Rolling Hills Country Club. For details, call 412-835-2008.
Bethel Woman’s Club will celebrate its 73rd birthday on April 16. The meeting and lunch will begin at noon at Christ U.M. Church. Past presidents will be recognized. Election of officers will take place. To RSVP, call 412-835-9567.
Republican Committee of Mt. Lebanon will meet at 7:30 p.m. April 15 at the municipal building. The Honorable James Roddey will speak on the shale gas development. For information, call Tommy Dunn at 412-668-2547.
Southwestern PA Registered Nurses Club will meet at 9:30 a.m. April 15 at Hamilton Presbyterian Church, Bethel Park. Michelle Muth of M3 Music Therapy will speak on “What is Music Therapy?” For details, call 412-561-6905.
Woman’s Club of Upper St. Clair will meet at 11:30 a.m. April 15 at Christ U.M. Church, Bethel Park. Pittsburgh sports author and historian Jim O’Brien will be the speaker. His new book on Chuck Noll will be available. To RSVP, call 412-833-1262.
• Universal Class/Testing/Education Reference, 2 p.m. April 16. Learn about free online classes.
• Health Smart Eating Goals, 7 p.m. April 16. Issues of added sugar, sodium and fat will be addressed.
• Facing Identity, grades five+, 7 p.m. April 16.
• Tween Book Club, 6:30 p.m. April 17.
• Library will be closed April 18-20 for Easter.
• Super Science, elementary age, 6 p.m. April 22.
• National Library Week, 6 p.m. April 14. Waggin/Overdrive class; April 15-Don’t Get Taxed Day; April 16-Libraryland, 4, 5 or 6 p.m.; April 17-Tech Buddies help with tablets, cell phones, laptops, 4 p.m.; April 18-19/Give and Forgive. Bring three items for the Washington Food Drive and fines will be forgiven; April 18 Senior Lunch/Learn, topic is Houston History.
• Learn to draw stills and landscapes, 6 p.m. Mondays. All skills. Adults. $5.
• Practice infant stimulation, 1 p.m. Wednesdays or 10:30 a.m. Saturdays.
• Book Cellar Spring Clearance, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. April 12.
• Aging Institute Caregiving Series, 1 p.m. April 14. 412-864-2092.
• Your Kidneys and You, 7 p.m. April 14.
• When to Take Social Security, 6 p.m. April 15.
• Paws for Reading, grade 1+, 10 a.m. April 12.
• Pittsburgh Youth Ballet, 11:30 a.m. April 12.
• Family Mario Kart Tournament, noon April 13.
• Trivia Challenge/Puzzle Races, 3 p.m. April 14.
• Teen Books in the Movies Night, 6 p.m. April 14. “Beautiful Creatures” rated PG-13.
• Glass Fusing presented by The Glass Place, ages 13+, 3 p.m. April 12. Make a fused glass coaster. $15
• Conversation Salon, 1 p.m. April 14. Discuss UPMC vs. Highmark and inspiration people.
• Patron Appreciation Day, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. April 17. Refreshments.
• Chess Tournament, K-eighth grade, 1 p.m. April 12.
• Reading Social, noon April 15. Discuss “Killing Lincoln” by Bill O’Reilly.
• Clean-up Day at the library, 10 a.m. April 17. Outdoor work.
• Vinyasa Flow Yoga, 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays in April.
• Book Club, 7 p.m. April 17. Discuss “The Expats” by Chris Pavone.
Wheeling Civic Garden Center, Oglebay Park, will hold a Spring Open House 10 a.m.-5 p.m. April 12. Check out the gift shop, sample cheese and dips. Members receive discounts on items purchased. For details, call 304-242-0665.
Monongahela Valley Hospital plans the following:
• Blood drive, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. April 11, ECC. Call 724-494-4090.
• Nonhealing wounds, 6 p.m. April 14, ECC. Call 724-258-1333.
• Talk with a Doc-Breathing, 10 a.m. April 17, Center in the Woods, Brownsville. Call 724-258-1333.
April is National Child Abuse Awareness Month. Domestic Violence Services of Southwestern PA offers training to help learn about the effects of domestic violence on children. For details, call 724-223-5477.
D&M Chiropractic, Upper St. Clair, will offer free consultations for anyone suffering from unresolved sciatic pain during the week of April 14-18. Call 412-833-1101 for an appointment.
Health Care seminar
Family Hospice and Palliative Care and Zacharia & Brown, elder law attorneys, will hold a free Health Care Decision Making Seminar 6:30-8 p.m. April 16 at the FH&PC auditorium on Moffett Street, Mt. Lebanon. Speak with experts about living wills, health care power of attorney, health care advance directives and more.
Light refreshments served. RSVP by April 14 at 412-572-8747 (leave name and number). For more information, contact Christine Meduho at 412-398-1395 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Musuneggi Financial Group will present When it Comes to Retirement “Girls Just Want to Have Funds” at 6:15 p.m. April 29 at Metamorphosis in McMurray. No cost. Call 412-341-2888 ext. 309 to register.
Learn about wines
Dreadnought Wines in the Strip District plans the following events and classes:
• Casual Friday Wine Class, 5:30 p.m. April 18. Experience three reds and three whites. $12. No need to RSVP.
• Wine Science-The Oak Effect, 6 p.m. April 9. $35.
• Agave Spirits, 6 p.m. April 14. $45. Includes cheese and charcuterie.
To register, call 412-391-1709.
Paramount Senior Living, Bethel Park, will host a free workshop on VA Aid & Attendance Pension Benefit at 10 a.m. April 12. Learn about potential benefits and services. To register, call 412-833-3500.