What’s Happening – June 18Published Jun 13, 2014 at 2:48 pm (Updated Jun 13, 2014 at 2:48 pm)
Tender Shepherd Preschool at The Bible Chapel is accepting registrations for the 2014-2015 school year. An afternoon session is available for children ages 3-5 on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Visit biblechapel.org for more information.CLUBS
South Hills Art League (SHAL) will hold an exhibition and sale of art work through June 30 in the Athena Sarris Art Gallery at the Frank Sarris Public Library, Canonsburg. Prices will be posted beside each work of art and a portion of the sale will benefit the library. Cast your vote for the People’s Choice Award. For more information about SHAL, visit southhillsartleague.org.FLEA MARKETS/CRAFT FAIRS
The Friends of Family Hospice and Palliative Care auxiliary volunteer group is seeking donations for its Family Treasures Sale, Sept. 20 at Family Hospice’s Mt. Lebanon location.
Items being sought include gently used, good quality art work, jewelry, furniture, collectibles and more. Items may be dropped off to Family Hospice weekdays 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. All proceeds from the Treasures Sale will benefit patients and families served by the nonprofit organization.
Questions may be directed to info@FamilyHospicePA.org.
Our Lady of Grace Church, Scott Township, will hold a “Gigantic” Rummage Sale 9 a.m.-3 p.m. June 20-21 at Miller Pavilion and Conroy Hall. Preview is 6-8 p.m. June 19 (cost: $5).FUNDRAISERS
A Garment Soiree to benefit Dress for Success Pittsburgh will take place 1-6 p.m. June 21 at Jen Rocket’s studio in Highland Park. Shop stylish collections, swap with your nice-condition clothing, jewelry, handbags, shoes, books and pop culture items. The event is free – donations are the “cost.” For more information, visit www.jenrocket.com.HAPPENINGS
State Senator Matt Smith (D-Allegheny/Washington), state Rep. Mark Mustio (R-Allegheny) and Moon Township will hold a free shredding event 10 a.m.-1 p.m. June 21 in the parking lot of the Moon Township Administration Office, Beaver Grade Road.
For more information, visit www.SenatorMattSmith.com.
The Sabika Sale 2014 will take place June 18-20 at the Pittsburgh Marriott North in Cranberry, and June 22-25 at the Hilton Garden Inn, Southpointe, featuring rare and retired pieces.
For sale times or to register for a shopping window and earn additional savings, visit www.sabika-jewelry.com.
‘The Music Man’
Washington Community Theatre celebrates its 40th year with Meredith Willson’s “The Music Man” at 8 p.m. June 24-29 outdoors in Washington Park’s Main pavilion, 283 Dunn Ave. There will be a free shuttle service from the Stone pavilion and the Washington Park Pool parking lot to the Main pavilion.
Tickets at $15 for adults, $12 student/senior can be purchased online at www.washingtoncommunitytheatre.org, in person at Citizen’s Library, by calling the library at 724-222-2400. Tickets can also be purchased at the door.
The Outdoor Classroom, Upper St. Clair, will offer the following:
• Firefly Watch with The Audubon Society of Western PA, 7:30-9:30 p.m. June 27. Free.
• Great American Backyard Campout, 8-10 p.m. June 28. $10/person or $35/family of four.
To register for any of these events, visit www.theoutdoorclassroompa.org.
Women to watch
Pittsburgh Glass Center features four women artists in an exhibit running through July 20.
For details, visit www.pittsburghglasscenter.org.LIBRARIES
• Preserve Your Family Memories, 11 a.m. June 21. Register.
• What’s That Sound?, 1 p.m. June 23, 3-5 year olds with a caregiver. Register.
• Sudsy Fun, 7 p.m. June 24, grades 5 and up. Register.
For a complete listing, visit www.bethelparklibrary.org.
• Puppy Tales, 11 a.m. June 21, grades 1-5. Sign up for a 15-minute reading session with Walter the therapy dog.
• Cartooning Workshop, 1-2:30 p.m. June 24, ages 6-12.
• Free screening of “Furever,” presented by Chartiers Custom Pet Creation, 7-9 p.m. June 24. Seating is limited. RSVP to Deb Chebatoris at 412-220-7800.
• Teen Book Club, 3-4:30 p.m. July 2. Pick up a copy of “The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making.”
For a complete listing, visit www.bridgevillelibrary.org.
• Hamilton Park Story Time, 10 a.m. Wednesdays, June 25-Aug. 13 at Hamilton Park, birth to pre-K. Weather permitting.
• Adult Bingo, 7 p.m. June 25. Registration required at front desk.
For a complete listing, visit www.castleshannonlibrary.org.
• Everyday Exercises for Seniors, 10:30 a.m. June 24.
• Preplanning Your Funeral Arrangements, 6:30 p.m. June 24.
• Clay Creations, 10 a.m. June 28, grades K and up. Explore material, paint and fire. $7 payable at the door. Register.
For a complete listing, visit www.mtlebanonlibrary.org.
• Paws for Reading, 10-11:20 a.m. June 21, grades 1 and up.
• WWII Discussion Group, 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m. June 25.
• Mystery Book Club for Adults, 1-2:30 p.m. June 25.
• Family Movie Night, 6-7:45 p.m. June 25.
For a complete listing, visit www.ptlibrary.org.
• Fizz, Boom, Read: Detective Science, 3 p.m. June 22, grades K-6. Registration required.
• Scrabble Club, 2 p.m. Tuesdays.
• Beginner’s Yoga Class, 7-8 p.m. June 18, 25. Bring a mat. $5/person, paid in advance at the library.
For a complete listing, visit www.scottlibrary.org
• Rock Solid Science for Kids, June 23-27. Grades 1-2, 1-2 p.m., $10/day or $40/week. Grades 3-5, 2:30-4 p.m., $12/day or $48/week. Prepay/register at the library or call 412-257-8660 to charge fees.
• Adult Book Club, 6:30-7:30 p.m. June 23.
• Rolling and Strolling, 10-11 a.m. June 30-Aug. 4. Collect treasures on stroller tours of local parks. Registration required.
For a complete listing, visit www.southfayettelibrary.org.
Upper St. Clair
• The library is closed Sundays during the summer.
For a complete listing of events, visit www.twpusc.org.WORKSHOPS
The Outdoor Classroom, Upper St. Clair, will offer an Outdoor Skills for Babysitters class 9 a.m.-noon June 21. $35/person includes goodie box.
To register, visit www.theoutdoorclassroompa.org.
The Schoolhouse Arts Center, Bethel Park, will offer a free tole painting class 1-3 p.m. June 24. Bring supplies.
For more information, call 412-835-9898.
The Brauer Institute for Holistic Medicine, Scott Township, will hold an Abundant Living Workshop “Open the Gate to Success,” 6:30-9 p.m. June 25. Cost is $50/session. For details or to register, visit doritbrauer.com/abundant_living.html or call 412-489-5100.
Preregister and pre-pay early.
WROC at Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair, offers the following:
• Friday Aerobics and Strength Training, 9:15-10:30 a.m. June 20-Aug. 29.
• Total Body Sculpt, 6:30-7:30 p.m. Tuesdays, 8-9 a.m. Saturdays, through Aug. 30.
• Ballet Barre Total Balance, 6:30-7:30 p.m. Mondays, 9-10 a.m. Saturdays, through July 21.
For more information, visit wroc.westminster-church.org or call 412-835-6630.