Sights & Sounds – June 18Published Jun 13, 2014 at 10:29 am (Updated Jun 13, 2014 at 10:29 am)
As part of Chamber Music Pittsburgh’s Just Summer series, ETHEL will perform at 7:30 p.m. June 19 at the Kelly Strayhorn Theater. A pre-concert mixer begins at 6:30.
The string quartet will perform “Grace” featuring works by Ennio Morricone, Jeff Buckley, Vijay Iyer, Son Lux, Marcelo Zarvos, Nico Muhly and more.
Tickets are $25 in advance or $28 at the door (includes one free drink plus food). To purchase, call Chamber Music Pittsburgh at 412-624-4129 or visit www.chambermusicpittsburgh.org.
The Heritage Players will present Arthur Miller’s classic drama “The Crucible” at 8 p.m. June 20, 21, 27 and 28, and 2 p.m. June 22 and 29 at the Seton Center. Box office opens one half hour before curtain. Tickets are $12 at the door or online.
Visit www.heritageplayers.org or phone 412-254-4633 for more information.
South Hills Junior Orchestra will celebrate its 30th anniversary on June 22 with an alumni concert at 2 p.m. in the Fort Couch Middle School gym (Upper St. Clair School District). All alumni are invited to perform. Bring your instrument and play with current members or sit in the audience.
Rehearsal will be held at 10:30 a.m. June 21 at Upper St. Clair High School. All alumni are welcome to attend all of the rehearsals, June 14 and 21. For more information, email SHJOrchestrafirstname.lastname@example.org.
Organ concert series
Westminster Organ Summer 2014, 30-minute casual concerts for all ages, begin at 5 p.m. Thursdays, June 19-July 24 and Aug. 22. The concerts are free and include: June 19 – Edward Alan Moore, East Liberty Presbyterian; June 26 – Mark Anderson, Shadyside Presbyterian; July 3 – Nicholas Will, St. Elizabeth Ann Seton in Carnegie; July 10 – Chaz Bowers, Immaculate Conception in Irwin; July 17 – Nick Capozzoli, Oberlin Conservatory of Music; July 24 – Alan Lewis, Calvary Episcopal; Aug. 22 – Paul Jacobs, The Julliard School (this concert begins at 7 p.m.).
The Hollywood Theater in Dormont announces its June schedule:
• “Father of the Bride” screens again as the Senior Movie Matinee at 2 p.m. June 19, with all seats $5.
• Silents Please! Series, featuring silent movies with live musical accompaniment by local musicians, 2 p.m. June 22. This month’s silent movie is “Speedy (1928). Live music by Daryl Fleming & the Public Domain.
• June 21 – Special evening in Odorama with Mink Stole, who will sign autographs before a special 7 p.m. screening of the 1981 film “Polyester.” Upon its release, the film carried a gimmick called Odorama, in which moviegoers could smell what they saw on screen through scratch-and-sniff cards provided by the theater. These cards are extremely rare, but some were tracked down in storage at a U.K. theater. A private VIP meet and greet reception with Mink Stole starts at 5 p.m. Refreshments. Doors open at 6 p.m. for regular admission. Tickets are $15 (floor seats) and $25 (VIP balcony) at
www.showclix.com/event/OdoramaWithMinkStole. All tickets include one Odorama card. A VIP ticket (only 50 available) includes the Meet & Greet Reception, VIP balcony seating, an Odorama card and free popcorn and soda.
Other movies include:
• “Captain Z and the Terror of Leviathan,” 8 p.m. June 19.
• “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest,” 7:30 and 10:15 p.m. June 20, 7 p.m. June 22, and 7:30 p.m. June 25. The Sunday screening is free to Hollywood members.
Schedules are subject to change. Call 412-563-0368 or check Facebook (www.facebook.com/HollywoodTheaterDormont) and website (www.thehollywooddormont.org) for updates. Unless noted, admission is $8/adults; $6/children under 12 and seniors.
The Meadows Racetrack & Casino announce the entertainment line-up for June. All shows are free admission.
• Headliners: 8 p.m. June 20, Night Life (variety/dance); 8 p.m. June 21, Velveeta (80’s and 90’s/dance); 7 p.m. June 26, Shari Richards (acoustic); 8 p.m. June 27, 8th Street Rox (blues/rock); 8 p.m. June 28, House of Soul (funk/dance)
• Tickets at $19.95-$29.95 are on sale now for the Oak Ridge Boys, 8 p.m. July 5.