Trax Farms Wine Festival to include seasonal offerings
At Trax Farms, nothing says summer like homegrown, fresh-picked strawberries, especially since they are one of the first crops of the year. For me though, when I think of summer, I think of sangria! It’s easy to make and is perfect for entertaining a few guests on the patio. So, to celebrate this delicious strawberry season, I pulled out a few family favorites and added a new twist – and I made sure they’re easy. So, there is no excuse not to try them before strawberry season is over. Just remember, since these recipes are so simple, their great flavors rely on the ingredients, which is why the Trax Farm’s Strawberries are essential. The fresher, the better and you can’t find strawberries in Pittsburgh any fresher than at Trax. You’ll be serving for drinks and dessert what we picked that morning.
Trax Farms’ Strawberry Sangria
1 750 ml bottle Arrowhead’s Reflections of Lake Erie or white wine
1 750 ml bottle Arrowhead’s Strawberry Wine
2 pints sliced Trax Farms’ homegrown strawberries
1/4 cup Trax Farms local honey
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1. Hull and slice the strawberries – cutting them will allow more flavor to soak in.
2. Coat strawberries in honey until fruit is fully covered and mix in lemon.
3. Chill for two hours.
4. In pitcher, stir together Reflections of Lake Erie, Strawberry Wine and chilled strawberries. Add sugar to taste.
5. Cover and chill for another one to four hours. Serve over ice. Garnish with whole strawberries if desired.
Strawberry Brownie Stack
Mascarpone or Cream Cheese
Chocolate Hazelnut spread
Sliced fresh strawberries
1. Slice brownie through the middle.
2. Spread one slice with cheese and one slice with chocolate hazelnut spread.
3. Put together like a sandwich.
4. Spread top with some more cheese.
5. Top with strawberries. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or chocolate syrup before serving.
1 750 ml bottle Arrowhead’s Dazzling Niagara or champagne
1 Qt Trax Farms homegrown strawberries
1. Remove stems and puree strawberries in a blender
2. Fill glasses half-way with strawberry puree, then top off with Arrowhead’s Dazzling Niagara. For smoother texture, strain the puree.
Trax Farms third annual Summer Wine Festival takes place June 28, featuring more than 50 wines from nine local wineries, food trucks, live music, crafts and more. To make reservations, call 412.835.3246. Advanced sales are limited.