Increase in free lunch eligible students in Peters Township
In a brief special meeting of the Peters Township School Board July 28, the six members who attended voted unanimously to approve an anticipated new position of Title I reading specialist at McMurray Elementary School. The position will be funded by the annual federal Title 1 budget of about $133,000.
Superintendent Jeannine French told the board because of an increase in the number of eligible students for the federal free or reduced lunch program, primarily at McMurray Elementary, the district is able to receive additional funding for the reading specialist to help improve reading proficiency for the students. No name was announced.
Attending the meeting were Thomas McMurray, Sandra Gregg, Lisa Anderson, Rebecca Bowman, Lynn Erenberg, and Jamison Hardy. Absent were William Merrell, Ron Dunleavy and Sue Smith.
In other action, the board:
• Approved the resignation of Emily Sanders, assistant high school principal, effective Aug. 8.
• Hired Lauren Stawartz, business, computer, information, technology teacher at the high school for the 2014-15 school year.
• Hired Wendy Stark as a sixth grade teacher at McMurray Elementary School.
• Approved the resignation of Margaret Michienzi, effective July 21, from cafeteria/food service.
• Approved Washington Financial as the bank of record for the district.
• Approved a continuation of the school resource officer agreement between the school district and the township. The agreement permits an armed police officer to be present in the district during school hours, primarily assigned to the high school. The agreement has been in place for several years.