Week of Aug. 27Published Aug 27, 2014 at 6:14 am (Updated Aug 25, 2014 at 10:26 am)
Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair, will offer the following Senior Fitness Classes:
• Arthritis Foundation Exercise, 11:15 a.m.-12:15 p.m. Tuesdays, Sept. 9-Oct. 21. Cost is $35.
• Tai Chi, 12:15-1:15 p.m. Tuesdays, Sept. 9-Oct. 21. Cost is $35.
• Gentle Yoga, 6-7 p.m. Mondays, Sept. 8-Oct. 20. Cost is $63.
For more information, call Kathy at 412-835-6630 ext. 200 or visit www.westminster-church.org
High Holiday lunch/concert
A High Holiday Senior Lunch and Concert, co-sponsored by the South Hills JCC and Chabad of the South Hills, will take place at 12:30 p.m. Sept. 16 at the South Hills JCC, Scott Township. Enjoy lunch, musical entertainment, High Holiday-themed program, raffle prizes and fellowship.
Suggested donation is $5. Wheelchair accessible. Preregistration required. For more information or to register, contact Barb at 412-278-2658 or email@example.com.
Mature Driver classes
AAA East Central’s Mature Driver classes will be offered 9 a.m.-1 p.m. at the South Hills AAA office in Upper St. Clair: Sept. 12 (renewal class), Oct. 16 (renewal class) and Dec. 9 (renewal class). To enroll, call 412-365-7211.
The Hilltoppers of Scott Township are planning a day trip to the Mountain Playhouse in Jennerstown on Oct. 1.
Cost of $88 includes bus transportation, lunch at Green Gables Restaurant, the show and all tips.
Reservation deposit is $25; full payment due by Sept. 1.
Free home inspections
Trained Safety for Seniors volunteers with Open Your Heart to a Senior will conduct a brief but thorough free home safety assessment using a written checklist making recommendations for family members to adjust/remove potential hazards. They install smoke alarms (if needed) and leave seniors with a bag of safety items, including a flashlight and fresh batteries, a bath mat, night light and other helpful items. After the check has been completed, seniors qualify for either a free grab bar or an indoor railing installed at no charge.
For information, contact Cathy Pschirer at North Hills Community Outreach at 412-307-0069 ext. 3313 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Volunteers are also needed to help with safety inspections. To register for an upcoming service day, contact Jeffrey Holmes at email@example.com or 412-661-1670 ext. 613.
• Volunteers are needed to help seniors with light yard work this summer, in all neighborhoods, to help plant flowers and mow seniors’ lawns. Time commitment is flexible. To volunteer, call 412-307-0071 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Allegheny County Department of Human Services Area Agency on Aging (AAA) is offering a series of free family caregiver trainings for caregivers of older adults. The series will run once a month, August, September and October, at the AAA offices, 2100 Wharton Street, Pittsburgh, second floor. Sessions are held from 10 a.m.-noon. Participants will receive information booklets on all topics covered. Registration is required. Caregivers may sign up for one session or multiple sessions on the following dates:
• Sept. 23 - Healthy Eating, Caring for the Caregiver
• Oct. 17 - Legal and Financial Issues, Caring for a Loved One with Alzheimer’s Disease or Dementia
For more information or to register, call 412-350-4996.