Week of Sept. 3Published Sep 3, 2014 at 6:17 am (Updated Aug 28, 2014 at 3:33 pm)
Adult Interest Center
The Adult Interest Center at Southminster Presbyterian Church, Mt. Lebanon, offers entertainment, information, fellowship and a meal for older adults in the greater South Hills community. Programs, held Fridays September-June, begin at 11 a.m. and are free and open to the public. Lunch is served at noon at a cost of $6. Reservations are not required.
• Sept. 5 – Pianist extraordinaire Tom Roberts will perform his new scores to three classic Charlie Chaplin short films.
• Sept. 12 – Suzanne Richardson, R.N., program manager and infection preventionist at Asbury Heights, will present practical advice and helpful tips to prevent colds or the flu.
For more information, call AIC Director Carla Campbell at 412-343-8900.
AFSCME Retired Chapter 13 sub-chapter #8402 will meet at 1 p.m. Sept. 9 at the Frank Sarris Public Library, Canonsburg. The group meets every second Tuesday of the month except January and February. All retired state employees are welcome.
Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair, will offer the following Senior Fitness Classes:
• Arthritis Foundation Exercise, 11:15 a.m.-12:15 p.m. Tuesdays, Sept. 9-Oct. 21. Cost is $35.
• Tai Chi, 12:15-1:15 p.m. Tuesdays, Sept. 9-Oct. 21. Cost is $35.
• Gentle Yoga, 6-7 p.m. Mondays, Sept. 8-Oct. 20. Cost is $63.
For more information, call Kathy at 412-835-6630 ext. 200 or visit www.westminster-church.org
High Holiday lunch/concert
A High Holiday Senior Lunch and Concert, co-sponsored by the South Hills JCC and Chabad of the South Hills, will take place at 12:30 p.m. Sept. 16 at the South Hills JCC, Scott Township. Enjoy lunch, musical entertainment, High Holiday-themed program, raffle prizes and fellowship.
Suggested donation is $5. Wheelchair accessible. Preregistration required. For more information or to register, contact Barb at 412-278-2658 or email@example.com.
Mature Driver classes
AAA East Central’s Mature Driver classes will be offered 9 a.m.-1 p.m. at the South Hills AAA office in Upper St. Clair: Sept. 12 (renewal class), Oct. 16 (renewal class) and Dec. 9 (renewal class). To enroll, call 412-365-7211.
A Senior Luncheon and Movie Matinee, sponsored by Home Instead Senior Care, will be held on Sept. 16 at the Mt. Lebanon Rec Center, second floor, for senior adults and their adult guests. Mt. Lebanon residency not required. Check-in is at 10:30 a.m. Guest speaker will be Thomas White, author of “Ghost Stories of Southwestern PA.” Cost of $6/person is due by Sept. 12. Fee includes lunch, speaker, 50/50 raffle and a movie on the big screen. Preregistration required at the Recreation Department on Cedar Boulevard, or by calling 412-343-3409.
Free home inspections
Trained Safety for Seniors volunteers with Open Your Heart to a Senior will conduct a brief but thorough free home safety assessment using a written checklist making recommendations for family members to adjust/remove potential hazards. They install smoke alarms (if needed) and leave seniors with a bag of safety items, including a flashlight and fresh batteries, a bath mat, night light and other helpful items. After the check has been completed, seniors qualify for either a free grab bar or an indoor railing installed at no charge.
For information, contact Cathy Pschirer at North Hills Community Outreach at 412-307-0069 ext. 3313 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Volunteers are also needed to help with safety inspections. To register for an upcoming service day, contact Jeffrey Holmes at email@example.com or 412-661-1670 ext. 613.
• Volunteers are needed to help seniors with light yard work this summer, in all neighborhoods, to help plant flowers and mow seniors’ lawns. Time commitment is flexible. To volunteer, call 412-307-0071 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Allegheny County Department of Human Services Area Agency on Aging (AAA) is offering a series of free family caregiver trainings for caregivers of older adults. The series will run once a month, August, September and October, at the AAA offices, 2100 Wharton Street, Pittsburgh, second floor. Sessions are held from 10 a.m.-noon. Participants will receive information booklets on all topics covered. Registration is required. Caregivers may sign up for one session or multiple sessions on the following dates:
• Sept. 23 – Healthy Eating, Caring for the Caregiver
• Oct. 17 – Legal and Financial Issues, Caring for a Loved One with Alzheimer’s Disease or Dementia
For more information or to register, call 412-350-4996.