Just when the United States was taking one step forward as more and more states are lifting bans on same-sex marriage, the Supreme Court has taken us two steps backwards with its terrifying ruling in the Hobby Lobby case, which says that the crafting-giant and other closely held corporations can limit birth-control methods that their employee health insurance policies cover.(more)
Hobby Lobby ruling dangerous
Ray Rice suspension too lenient
As NFL teams report to training camp and the 2014 season gets underway, the league is once again in the negative spotlight. The most recent evidence of the fallout of its players, Baltimore Ravens runningback Ray Rice was convicted of domestic violence against his then girlfriend – now wif…
No wonder America has a weight problem
A chicken burrito bowl at Chipotle, with brown rice, pinto beans, grilled fajita vegetables, salsa, sour cream and cheese packs a staggering 750 calories and 32.5 grams of fat – nearly half of the recommended intake. Want guacamole on that? Now you are talking 950 calories and 51.5 grams o…
Flashy U.S. Embassies not worth the cost
As of this writing, the United States deficit is $366 billion – and that is actually a 26 percent decline from the previous year.
Know the signs and symptoms of drowning
What better way to cool off on a hot summer day than to take a dip in a pool, lake, river or ocean? Now that swimming season is here, so are the news reports of people of all ages drowning. And, if you are on social media, you have no doubt seen the news stories about secondary drowning, or dry d…
- South Fayette Township seeks new commissioner --> http://t.co/PJniArwWxs
- Good news for those who travel #BowerHillRoad: http://t.co/XrK5tcfmX7
- Increase in free lunch eligible students in Peters Township: http://t.co/01yiNuJQeN
- Still time to enter your pet photo to win $750 dollars. More info in the flyer. http://t.co/WhFTuGR1Jl
Mobile devices are not babysitters
There are seemingly no bounds to what can be done with a smartphone or tablet. You can completely automate your home, start your car, track your daily caloric intake, map your run, even go back in time to see what you posted on social media on the current day each year.
Keep Mt. Lebanon’s field turf natural
I n November 2013, Mt. Lebanon commissioners approved a conceptual plan for the natural grass turf on Mt. Lebanon Park’s Middle and Wildcat fields to be replaced with artificial turf. The price tag is estimated at a cool $1 million, $750,000 of which would come from the municipality’…
Giant Eagle playing a dangerous game
The Giant Eagle, Whole Foods saga has been a real hot button issue locally. As this newspaper reported last week, developers of the former Consol Energy site in Upper St. Clair, 1800 Washington Road Associates, have filed a lawsuit against Moira Cain-Mannix, citing that she worked for Giant Eagle…
Respect each other’s opinions, lifestyles
Last week’s front page story “Overturned gay marriage ban a relief to local couples” and subsequent editorial, “Proud to be from state of PA” sparked a lot of response from our readers. The beauty of living in the United States of America is the freedoms that we…
- The first phase of expansion at Cool Springs Golf and Sports Complex includes a new clubhouse with a two-tier driving range, fully turfed landing area, two indoor aboutGolf virtual simulators, pro shop, and a refurbished 18-hole miniature golf course and the Fairway Grille. Read more about the current changes and what will come with Phase II.
- Upper St. Clair High school student, James Smith, will dine with Olympic Silver medalist, Leo Manzano, giving him a jump on the GNC Live Well Liberty Mile in Pittsburgh this weekend. Read more about this inspiring athlete.
- This week's issue: -Bethel Park freshman to have special assistant -Castle Shannon Baumgarten named state Mayor of the Year -Meals On Wheels Association of America celebrates 40 years in Peters Twp. Pick up your copy or go to www.thealmanac.net to read these and other stories from this week!
- "Thanks for pointing that out..." on their own link.