Just when the United States was taking one step forward as more and more states are lifting bans on same-sex marriage, the Supreme Court has taken us two steps backwards with its terrifying ruling in the Hobby Lobby case, which says that the crafting-giant and other closely held corporations can limit birth-control methods that their employee health insurance policies cover.(more)
Hobby Lobby ruling dangerous
Ice Bucket Challenge a social media sensation
By now, you’ve probably heard about the Ice Bucket Challenge, the ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) fundraiser that is spreading awareness like wildfire on social media. In case you haven’t, the concept is simple: once you have been called out, you have 24 hours to either donate $…
Robin Williams death sheds light on suicide, depression
Hollywood – and, judging by social media’s reaction, the rest of the world – is mourning the loss of comedian and actor Robin Williams, who died in an apparent suicide on Aug. 11. Despite his lighthearted demeanor and seemingly effortless ability to make everyone around him l…
Breastfeeding is best for baby
There’s a simple thing that a mother can do to lower her baby’s risk for Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, allergies, asthma, ear infections, respiratory infections and digestive issues. Moreover, this same act has been thought to reduce the risk for diabetes, obesity and possibly even …
Ray Rice suspension too lenient
As NFL teams report to training camp and the 2014 season gets underway, the league is once again in the negative spotlight. The most recent evidence of the fallout of its players, Baltimore Ravens runningback Ray Rice was convicted of domestic violence against his then girlfriend – now wif…
- Latest challenge to #UpperStClair's @WholeFoods development denied, appealed: http://t.co/iiVCdeT3Zx
- Books stolen from @MtLebLibrary: http://t.co/LbEQBanAqU
- .@GalleriaPgh's #SidewalkSale kicks off tomorrow and runs through Sept. 7.
- In #MtLebanon, a gas line was struck in the 300 block of Jefferson Drive. Repairs are underway. If you smell gas, evacuate and call 911.
No wonder America has a weight problem
A chicken burrito bowl at Chipotle, with brown rice, pinto beans, grilled fajita vegetables, salsa, sour cream and cheese packs a staggering 750 calories and 32.5 grams of fat – nearly half of the recommended intake. Want guacamole on that? Now you are talking 950 calories and 51.5 grams o…
Flashy U.S. Embassies not worth the cost
As of this writing, the United States deficit is $366 billion – and that is actually a 26 percent decline from the previous year.
Know the signs and symptoms of drowning
What better way to cool off on a hot summer day than to take a dip in a pool, lake, river or ocean? Now that swimming season is here, so are the news reports of people of all ages drowning. And, if you are on social media, you have no doubt seen the news stories about secondary drowning, or dry d…
Mobile devices are not babysitters
There are seemingly no bounds to what can be done with a smartphone or tablet. You can completely automate your home, start your car, track your daily caloric intake, map your run, even go back in time to see what you posted on social media on the current day each year.
- Whether you need to do some last-minute school shopping or even get a jump start on holiday shopping – 124 days until Christmas! – The Galleria of Mt. Lebanon Mall's Sidewalk Sale kicks off tomorrow, and has some great deals.
- The Almanac likes a video.
- Sunday dinner takes on a charitable meaning this weekend. Bring this flyer to Chipotle Mexican Grill in Peters Township and 50 percent of the proceeds will be donated to the Alzheimer's Association.
- Sports editor Eleanor Bailey previews Quad-A football, and ranks the schools in the order that she thinks they will finish. What do you think of her list?