Just when the United States was taking one step forward as more and more states are lifting bans on same-sex marriage, the Supreme Court has taken us two steps backwards with its terrifying ruling in the Hobby Lobby case, which says that the crafting-giant and other closely held corporations can limit birth-control methods that their employee health insurance policies cover.(more)
Hobby Lobby ruling dangerous
No wonder America has a weight problem
A chicken burrito bowl at Chipotle, with brown rice, pinto beans, grilled fajita vegetables, salsa, sour cream and cheese packs a staggering 750 calories and 32.5 grams of fat – nearly half of the recommended intake. Want guacamole on that? Now you are talking 950 calories and 51.5 grams o…
Flashy U.S. Embassies not worth the cost
As of this writing, the United States deficit is $366 billion – and that is actually a 26 percent decline from the previous year.
Know the signs and symptoms of drowning
What better way to cool off on a hot summer day than to take a dip in a pool, lake, river or ocean? Now that swimming season is here, so are the news reports of people of all ages drowning. And, if you are on social media, you have no doubt seen the news stories about secondary drowning, or dry d…
Mobile devices are not babysitters
There are seemingly no bounds to what can be done with a smartphone or tablet. You can completely automate your home, start your car, track your daily caloric intake, map your run, even go back in time to see what you posted on social media on the current day each year.
- Faith, the first service dog at Bethel Park school district. via @almterrij and @DavidMSinger -- http://t.co/ARok7rmFtc
- Phone scammers are targeting South Hills residents. Details here. http://t.co/9r4Qf5DxGC
- Soaring like an Eagle at 102! http://t.co/1psUHBjVhJ
- Have a pet? You could win $250 with a photo! Details in this flyer. http://t.co/kBhIypvS12
Keep Mt. Lebanon’s field turf natural
I n November 2013, Mt. Lebanon commissioners approved a conceptual plan for the natural grass turf on Mt. Lebanon Park’s Middle and Wildcat fields to be replaced with artificial turf. The price tag is estimated at a cool $1 million, $750,000 of which would come from the municipality’…
Giant Eagle playing a dangerous game
The Giant Eagle, Whole Foods saga has been a real hot button issue locally. As this newspaper reported last week, developers of the former Consol Energy site in Upper St. Clair, 1800 Washington Road Associates, have filed a lawsuit against Moira Cain-Mannix, citing that she worked for Giant Eagle…
Respect each other’s opinions, lifestyles
Last week’s front page story “Overturned gay marriage ban a relief to local couples” and subsequent editorial, “Proud to be from state of PA” sparked a lot of response from our readers. The beauty of living in the United States of America is the freedoms that we…
Proud of PA judge’s ruling
Pennsylvania has long been known as a state that is behind the times, particularly when it comes to our antiquated laws. But last week, we joined the ranks of 18 other progressive states – along with the District of Columbia – when U.S. District Judge John E. Jones declared Pennsylv…
- Looking for something to do this weekend? CCAC's South Campus presents Hairspray this weekend. Click below for times. http://www.thealmanac.net/article/20140717/LIFESTYLES/140719950
- #TBT Mt. Lebanon School District plays Central Catholic High School in this 1941 photo.
- Bernie Queneau is believed to be the oldest Eagle Scout in the country and at 102 he isn't slowing down anytime soon!
- "Sorry for the late response!..." on Carmen Orta Kurtz's post on The Almanac's Timeline.